by Luka Napotnik
31th of July, 2016
Here’s my public PGP key if you would like to encrypt your email before sending it to me.
(key fingerprint is
392D E9FC FFCF ECC8 1EA1 FC50 AD3E D41C 67DB 547A)
Always ready for new challenges and willing to experiment, learn and help others. I am generally a pragmatist where I believe there’s always “the right tool for the right job”. An open-source advocate at heart and know my way around the Linux operating system and Linux programming. I have a passion for computers and science & technology in general.
[2007 - present] Platform Developer
Position: Lead Platform Developer
Primarily developing platform software for V-Tablet which is an in-house built tablet that uses electronic paper technology for displaying content that the software pre-renders and optimizes. The content is later sent to the device under a proprietary network protocol which I co-designed.
Other work include:
- various devops tasks (deploying and updating remote software, system administration), writing helper utilities for internal use.
- tier 3 customer support
- project lead
- Years 2002 to 2007: technical middle school, posessing a formal professional title as Electro-technition of Computing.
- Years 2007 to 2009: unfinished Bachelors degree, attended Faculty of Computer and Information Science at University of Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- architecture design
- abstractions and encapsulations
- project implementation
- release and feature planning
- documentation system
- designing API
- team work
- review-based programming
- team leadership: task scheduling and assignment, setting time frames
- helping peers: with my experience, systems knowledge or design decisions
- working with various versioning control systems (VCS), mostly with git
- programming techniques
- object-oriented design
- debugging techniques
- concurrent programming
- test-driven programming
- practical knowledge
- TCP/IP protocol design and implementation
- micro-service design and inter-process communication
- auditing system and error reporting
- various UNIX/POSIX tool
- familiar with various work-flows that work great with distributed VCS
- Pragmatist: “right tool for the right job”,
- Go: over 3 years of experience, proficient knowledge,
- C over 5 years of experience, proficient knowledge,
- C++: basic knowledge,
- Python : basic knowledge,
- ECMAScript: basic knowledge,
- GNU Awk: less than one year, knowledge to process/manipulate large text files,
- know my way with Bash scripting,
- knowledge of “lesser” languages: HTML/CSS,
- various libraries: Gtk+ programming, socket programming.
- Ubuntu Release Party guest speaker (twice) with presentations explaining new desktop features.
- Guest speaker for WebCampLj 2009 where I talked about how Visionect d.o.o. is using the WebKit engine for building a render farm.
- Ljubljana Golang Meetup:
- [December 2014] - Guest speaker on the first meetup: talk about my experiences with programming in Go, practical advises and tricks and experiences when I was visiting the Go Conference in Paris in February 2014.
- [January 2015] - Organizer and speaker of the second meetup: talk about how Visionect d.o.o. migrated its software stack from C to Go and the deployment experiences that followed.
- [March 2015] - Organizer of the third meetup.
- [March 2016] - speaker at the fourth meetup: ‘A simple way to migrate configuration files’, talk about an idea how to automatically migrate configuration files if the user upgrade your software,
- Visited FOSDEM 2014 in Brussels.
- Visited the first Go conference in Europe – dotGo in October 2014.